Wednesday, February 25, 2009

kitchen sink risotto

Radicchio has been plaguing me. I've looked through my cookbooks, searched online and flipped through magazines. But the radicchio recipes are few and they all follow the same basic idea: radicchio + strongly flavored cheese + carb. Which isn't a bad thing! Trust me, all of my favorite foods feature cheese plus carb. I guess I was just hoping to try something a little more unusual.

But oh crap! It's Wednesday and the new box is here and we still haven't used half the stuff from last week's box. Time to face the radicchio! So I decided we'd make "Risotto with Radicchio" after looking through Amaranth to Zucchini one last time. I've never made a real risotto before and I was really looking forward to it.

Then Kenny decided (I think he was a little tipsy*... shh!): You know what? Screw it, let's just throw all the greens in. I was hesitant but I wasn't gonna argue with the man. So, "Risotto with Radicchio" became "Risotto with Radicchio, and Collard Greens, and Pea Shoots, and Arugula."

And it came out damn good! The risotto was creamy and rich, the asiago and lemon juice gave it balance and you still could taste each of the greens individually. Bitter radicchio and peppery pea shoots held their own. We served it with sourdough that had been dusted with herbes de Provence. I dub thee- kitchen sink risotto!


Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 an onion, diced
2 cups arborio rice
7 cups veggie stock
2 heads radicchio
1 bunch collard greens
1 bunch pea shoots
1 bunch arugula
6 cloves garlic confit, chopped
salt, pepper to taste
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 cup asiago cheese
1 pint cream
2 tsp lemon juice

Start by getting the veggie stock simmering in pot. During that time, wilt the greens in a non-stick skillet, working in batches, then set them aside. In another large pot, heat the butter and olive oil and sweat the onions with a bit of salt, til just barely translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the dry rice to toast it a bit, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes. Then, add 2 cups of hot stock and stir the risotto until the stock incorporates.

Continue adding stock slowly, 2 cups at a time and stirring to incorporate. Add the garlic confit as well, it will break down and dissolve into the risotto. After 6 cups of stock have been added, the rice should be just about done, maybe a tiny bit crunchy still. Add 1 teaspoon of thyme and 1 teaspoon of crushed sage. Season with salt and pepper to taste- but remember the asiago will add salt and the pea shoots and arugula are peppery, so keep that in mind. Add the last cup to finish the rice and cook until the rice is tender. Then add the cheese and stir to melt. Add the greens and incorporate, then stir in the cream. To finish, add two teaspoons of lemon juice, which will perk up the flavors. Re-season with more salt and pepper, if necessary. Makes six servings.


*Kenny's note: yes I was tipsy, no I do not regret it. This is the best thing I have put in my mouth since wd-50 in NYC. It's just as good the next day. Everyone in my office is SO jealous, and there is more in the fridge!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! This looks like a great way to use up that pesky radicchio--and any other greens we haven't gotten around to yet!

    ReplyDelete